Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"W"




On every first and third Monday of the month, my class talks about a letter. Yesterday, we worked on "W." Here is what we did:

First Circle Time:

Introduce the letter with a picture of the letter (I found great letter posters at Lakeshore)

Talk about its sound

Talk about words that begin with "W": Watermelon, Water, When, What, Wonder, Wink, etc.

I draw a "W" while the children observe. Then, we pass the crayon around while each child makes an effort to draw one too. It doesn't really matter whether the child writes the correctly or not. I like the idea of getting a writing utensil in their little hands, and the thought process of trying to copy what I have drawn.

Later in the day we work on a "W" craft project. I found this idea at www.notimeforflashcards.com (http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/category/letter-w). Our version is pictured above.

I save these letters each month, and they will be compiled into a alphabet book for the children at the end of the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment